Your Guide Through Every Step Of The Divorce Process
Going through a divorce can be a tumultuous time in your life. There may be many unknowns and concerns about the future. With the help of a dedicated law firm, some of these fears may be put to rest as you are skillfully guided toward the end of your divorce and the beginning of your fresh start.
Serving family law clients in Beverly Hills, throughout the Los Angeles metro area and all of LA County, Chason Family Law, P.C. understands how difficult a divorce can be. Even when both parties agree on some facets of the divorce, they may disagree on others. Our firm is committed to protecting your best interests and legal rights in all aspects of the divorce, from start to finish.
Issues That Arise In Divorce
We handle all issues that arise in divorce, including the common matters listed below:
- Property division: California is a community property state. This means that all assets that were acquired throughout the course of the marriage – from the date of the marriage until the date of separation – are subject to division. Debts are also divided through this aspect of a divorce.
- Alimony: While alimony, or spousal support, is not an issue in all divorces, it is important that it be handled appropriately to ensure that you are paying the right amount or receiving a livable amount. The length of the marriage is a major factor in the amount of alimony awarded, as is the age of the parties, the income of the parties and the income-earning potential of the parties.
- Child custody and child support: Parents need to be especially aware of how divorcing may affect their children. By keeping the best interests of the children in mind and working together when discussing how child custody will be divided and how much child support will be paid, the impact on the children can be minimized.
Complex And High-Asset Divorce Cases
When a couple divorces and there are large assets and potentially valuable property at stake or the divorce is otherwise complicated, these cases need to be handled with the utmost care and professionalism. Our firm has handled numerous high-asset and complex divorce cases in which there were high-value assets to be divided, such as:
- Primary residence homes
- Vacation homes
- Rental properties
- Bank accounts
- Offshore or foreign accounts
- Businesses (which require a business valuation)
- Personal property (such as cars, jewelry and more)
- Employee benefits (such as stock options)
- Retirement accounts, IRAs and 401(k)s
- Military benefits